Welcome to Samanta's Research Group
School of Chemistry, University of Hyderabad
Prof. Anunay Samanta
J. C. Bose National Fellow
School of Chemistry
University of Hyderabad
Hyderabad 500 046, India.
+91 40 2313 4813 (office)
+91 40 2301 2341 (office)
+91 40 2301 1594 (office)
+91 40 2313 4913 (lab)
+91 40 2301 0715 (home)
Fax: +91 40 2301 1594
Our research areas of interest include time-resolved ensemble and single molecule fluorescence spectroscopy/microscopy and transient absorption spectroscopy. We are involved in studying dynamics of solvation and rotations in room temperature ionic liquids (RTILs), understanding their heterogeneous behavior and its influence on excited state electron transfer reactions, investigating mechanism of electron and Forster resonance energy transfer (FRET) from quantum dots (QDs) to organic fluorophores, single molecule fluorescence correlation spectroscopic (FCS) studies of diffusion of organic fluorophores in protein solution, blinking of QDs, characterizing triplet states of molecules and investigating triplet-triplet energy transfer processes etc.
Some Recent Publications
● Intramolecular Cycloadditions of Photogenerated Azaxylylenes: An Experimental and Theoretical Study, O.A. Mukhina, W.C. Kronk, N.N. Bhuvan Kumar, M.C. Sekhar, A. Samanta, A.G. Kutateladze J. Phys. Chem. A (2014) (Just Accepted).
● CdTe Quantum Dots in Ionic Liquid: Stability and Hole Scavenging in Presence of a Sulfide salt, M.C. Sekhar, K. Santhosh, J. Praveen Kumar, N. Mondal, S. Soumya and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. C 118 (2014) 18481-18487.
● Effect of Capping Agent and Medium on Light-Induced Variation of the Luminescence Properties of CdTe Quantum Dots: A Study Based on Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy, Steady State and Time-Resolved Fluorescence Techniques, S. Patra and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. C 118 (2014) 18187-18196.
● Does Excited state proton transfer reaction contribute to the emission behaviour of 4-Aminophthalimide in Aqueous media? D. C. Khara, S. Banerjee and A. Samanta, ChemPhysChem 15 (2014) 1793-1798.
● An FCS study of the structural stability of lysozyme in the presence of morpholinium salts, A. Pabbathi, S. Ghosh and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. B 117 (2013) 16587.
● A Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy, Steady State and Time-Resolved Fluorescence study of modulation of photo physical properties of mercaptopropionic acid capped CdTe quantum dots upon exposure to light, S. Patra and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. C 117 (2013) 23313.
● Comment on An interesting case where water behaves as a unique solvent. 4-Aminophthalimide emission profile to monitor aqueous environment, D. C. Khara and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. B 117 (2013) 5387 (comment).
● Structural transformation of bovine serum albumin induced by dimethyl sulfoxide and probed by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy technique and additional methods, A. Pabbathi, S. Patra and A. Samanta, ChemPhysChem 14(11) (2013) 2441.
● Effect of the alkyl chain length on the rotational dynamics of nonpolar and dipolar solutes in a series of N-alkyl-N-methylmorpholinium ionic liquids, D. C. Khara, J. Praveen Kumar, N. Mondal and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. B 117 (2013) 5156.
● Fluorescence response of coumarin-153 in N-alkyl-N-methylmorpholinium ionic liquids: Are these liquids more structured than the imidazolium ionic liquids? D. C. Khara and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. B 116 (2012) 13430.
● Microheterogeneity of some imidazolium ionic liquids as revealed by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy and lifetime studies, S. Patra and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. B 116 (2012) 12275.
● Exploring the CdTe Quantum Dots in Ionic Liquids by Employing a Luminescent Hybrid of the Two, K. Santhosh and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. C 116 (2012) 20643.
● Differential Effect of Cholesterol and Its Biosynthetic Precursors on Membrane Dipole Potential, S. Haldar, R. K. Kanaparthi, A. Samanta and A. Chattopadhyay, Biophysical Journal 102 (2012) 1561.
● What determines the rate of excited state intramolecular electron transfer reaction of 4-(N,N'-dimethylamino)benzonitrile in room temperature ionic liquids? A study in [bmim][PF6], K. Santhosh ans A. Samanta, ChemPhysChem 13 (2012) 1956.
● Fluorescence quenching of CdS quantum dots by 4-azetidinyl-7-nitrobenz-2-oxa-1,3-diazole: A mechanistic study, K. Santhosh, S. Patra, S. Soumya, D. C. Khara and A. Samanta, ChemPhysChem 12 (2011) 2735.
● Dual fluorescence of ellipticine: Excited state proton transfer from solvent versus solvent mediated intramolecular proton transfer, S. Banerjee, A. Pabbathi, M. C. Sekhar and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. A 115 (2011) 9217.
● Folding and unfolding movements in a pseudorotaxane, M. Suresh, A. K. Mandal, M. K. Kesharwani, N. N. Adarsh, B. Ganguly, R. K. Kanaparthi, A. Samanta and A. Das, J. Org. Chem. 76 (2011) 138.
● "Fluorescence probing of the physicochemical characteristics of the room temperature ionic liquids" by A. Samanta, a book chapter of the "Advanced fluorescence reporters in chemistry and biology III: Applications in sensing and imaging" A. P. Demchenko (Volume Editor), Springer, 2011.
● Modulation of the excited state intramolecular electron transfer reaction and dual fluorescence of crystal violet lactone in room temperature ionic liquids, K. Santhosh and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. B 114 (2010) 9195.
● Rotational dynamics of positively and negatively charged solutes in ionic liquid and viscous molecular solvent studied by time-resolved fluorescence anisotropy measurements, D. C. Khara and A. Samanta, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 12 (2010) 7671.
● Solvation dynamics in ionic liquids: What we have learned from the dynamic fluorescence Stokes shift studies, A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 1 (2010) 1557. (Perspective Article)
● Spectroscopic and theoretical investigations on effective and selective interaction of fullerenes C60 and C07 with a derivatized Zn-Phthalocyanin: Stabilization of charge recombined state by side on approach of C70, A. Ray, K. Santhosh, S. Chattopadhyay, A. Samanta and S. Bhattacharya, J. Phys. Chem. A 114 (2010) 5544.
● Fluorescence response of 4-(N,N'-dimethylamino)benzonitrile in room temperature ionic liquids:observation of photobleaching under mild excitation condition and multiphoton confocal microscopic study of the recovery dynamics, K. Santhosh, S. Banerjee, N. Rangaraj and A. Samanta, J. Phys. Chem. B 114 (2010) 1967.
FNA, FASc, FNASc